Consultant: Ashley Nichol
Job Status: Permanent / Part Time
We are a multi-disciplinary teaching facility, which offers a full service general practice and referral services including medicine, surgery, anesthesia, emergency and diagnostic imaging. We service a wide catchment area and therefore see a large number of unique and interesting cases. Our well-equipped purpose built hospital offers a wide range of diagnostic, laboratory and monitoring equipment, including digital x-ray, dental x-ray, CT, extensive anesthetic monitoring equipment, ventilation capabilities, a full Idexx in-house laboratory suite and university pathology laboratory.
We are a growing hospital and we regularly expand the services we offer. We are looking for a part-time Referral Nurse who is passionate and enthusiastic to learn and grow with us. We are building teams that provide exemplary patient care in a professional environment. Our goal is to secure experienced professional staff and support them with generous CE, competitive remuneration and work life balance.
Student teaching and mentorship:
Our primary role in teaching involves clinical tuition of final year veterinary students, across all our services. A passion for teaching and mentorship is a must as we pride ourselves in providing high quality new graduates to the veterinary industry. Teaching students provides the opportunity to grow both your clinical and non-clinical skills including communication, organization and self-confidence.
About the role:
We our looking for an experienced nurse to help provide a gold standard anesthesia service to our surgery, medicine, imaging and dermatology services. You will be supported by three anesthesia nurses, a membered veterinary Anesthetist and an Anesthesiologist. The primary responsibilities of the anesthesia nurse role are listed below.
- Assist the Anesthesia Veterinarian with patient assessments
- Formulate a patient specific anesthesia and pain management plan for review by Anesthesia Veterinarian
- Prepare anesthesia drugs and equipment as relevant for specific patient requirements.
- Assist with induction process
- Apply and manage monitoring equipment as relevant to anesthesia
- Collect and record patient physiological data
- Assist and/or manage the stages and planes of anesthesia from premedication through to recovery
- Manage fluid therapy as relevant to anesthesia including the pre and post-operative period
- Assist and/or manage recovery period including responding to adverse events
- Review/complete post-operative pain management planning for review by Anesthesia Veterinarian
- Completion of Anesthesia administration and paperwork
- Hospital cleaning, stocking and equipment maintenance
Our ideal candidates will possess:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a veterinary nurse
- Certificate IV in veterinary nursing
- The desire to develop progressive practice & contribute to practice growth
- The ability to work efficiently and independently
- The ability to work as part of a cohesive like-minded team
- Commitment to the provision of optimal patient care
- The ability to support trainee nurses, veterinary student, and animal nurse assistants
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Commitment to patient centered, low-stress handling
- Experience in calculation and preparation of CRI’s
- Familiar with pain assessment, scoring and management
- Exposure to more complex anesthesia/ patients with comorbidities
- Understanding of common anesthesia complications and appropriate action.
- Exposure to advanced anesthesia monitoring equipment and ventilator
- Knowledge of basic pharmacology of commonly used anesthesia drugs.
Whilst these are desirable attributes a person with a positive can do attitude and enthusiasm to learn is equally important and thus will be highly consider for this position.
What we can offer you:
- Generous remuneration, above award
- Paid registration and licenses
- Access to a wide range of CE opportunities
- RECOVER CPR training
- Access to regular in-house discussion forums and tutorials
- Access to VSPN
- Annual membership to the Vet Education online learning portal
- Access to the university library and other services
We live in a beautiful, sunny part of the world next to the tropical rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef, all without the hassle and expense of inner-city living.