Consultant: Ashley Nichol
Job Status: Permanent / Full Time
- 100% Companion Animals
- The role will encompass all aspects of small animal practice including consulting and surgery in a very busy clinic.
- This is not a “jab and go” clinic; You will work up complex medical cases like a pro and be prepared to take the extra step in surgery.
- You will see dozens for trauma cases, dog fights, dingo mauling, snake bites, tick paralysis and poisonings.
- We also vaccinate cute puppies and kittens! You need to be able to handle it all!
- This is not a laid back job for someone to vaccinate, spey and refer off the tricky stuff.
- We aim for a high standard. We have all the expected toys like Digital Radiography (diagnostic and dental); In house Lab including CBC, Biochem, Blood gases, Coagulation; We run 4 anaesthetic machines, sometimes all at once; We have endoscopy, ultrasound, oxygen cages, isolation cages and loads of surgery cages.
- We only refer very complex orthopaedics, difficult ophthalmology, PSS surgery, CT and MRI cases and not much else.
- We have a great big team (over 35 staff) with lots of personalities.
- You can be certain that everyone is here for the right reason – we love our patients and want the best for them. We work together well and encourage collaboration
- Our nurses are awesome and will line up to perform venipuncture, place catheters, run bloods and take radiographs.
- We have dedicated receptionists who we can’t live without.
Our clients come from every socioeconomic background. Some book in for every itch and scratch, some only when a limb has fallen off! Some won’t spend $50 but plenty will draw down their mortgage for their beloved pets.
- The region is great. Within an hour of beaches, National Parks, Noosa and the Sunshine Coast and 2 hours to Brisbane. We are surrounded by beautiful countryside with trails for hikers, bikers or horse riders.
- If you are a fitness freak there are plenty of gyms and pools;
- If it’s food and entertainment you want, there’s the cinema, lots of great restaurants and cafes and a great array of regional farm gate producers on the Hinterland food trails. All your shopping needs are catered for too.
- Real Estate is affordable (for now!).
- There are 4 high schools and about a dozen primary schools to choose from.
- Your time wasted in the car commuting to work will be next to zero.
- Experienced small animal vet – if you have great ultrasound skills, or another special interest, that’s advantageous
- Enthusiastic attitude, someone who sets the bar high and is committed to getting there
- You take responsibility for your case load and are prepared to pitch in on a big day
- You love your patients and have empathy and respect for the clients
- You acknowledge the job can sometimes be stressful with tough choices to make and it can be tiring – you have strategies to manage this
Summary of Best Bits:
- Real Veterinary work
- Ability to work up cases thoroughly with good equipment and experienced team members
- No limits to your goals
Summary of Worst Bits
- After hours – no you can’t avoid it. 1 night per week and 1 weekend per month (Fri, Sat, Sun nights)
- Commuting from a distance doesn’t work – we need you to live in the Gympie district (not really a “worst bit”!)
What we promise:
- A 45 hour week – We won’t ask you to do ridiculous shifts; we actively work to manage a healthy work-life balance
- An enticing salary package well above award for the right person including support for your continuing education interests, 4 weeks annual leave, 1 week conference leave and allowances, after hours bonuses.
- A guarantee that you will never be bored, that you can learn something new daily
- A rewarding career not just a job